Thursday, October 8, 2009

Live where your fear is

Reading the Art of Extreme Self-Care by Cheryl Richardson, http://www.cherylrichardson.com/ I came across this line: Forget Safety. Live where you fear to live."

I've been sitting with my fear for a while now, letting it keep me playing small, keep me inside, in the closed circle of comfort and routine, or what is known and familiar. Yet aching to stretch, own my power, get out and play with the larger world.

For myself, it begins with sitting with the feeling in my body, letting tears come, letting feelings rise up, then breathing with it. Being a companion to my sadness or fear or anxiety instead of rejecting it and pushing it back under. This doesn't feel comfortable but it can be done safely, if I am patient with myself. It's like the poem by Rumi, Guesthouse, all these emotions are gifts or guests that come and stay with us, to teach us how to be in the world.

The Guest House
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

-- Jelaluddin Rumi, translation by Coleman Barks
http://www.gratefulness.org/poetry/guest_house.htm

So live with your fear as a gift, that can lead to greater opening, to more acceptance.
Cradle and mother with tenderness the tender young self imprisoned in the cave of your heart.
Give her a name and breathe her to life.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello
Hey nice poem you have given and I like it.I think it is describing our lives.We should face every face in our life.Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

h1n1

statistics

blogflux list of blogs about menopause

Directory of Women Blogs